Wednesday, August 31, 2005

spinning

Out on my front porch tonight this spider is building the Taj Mahal. It easily covers 35-40 square feet. It goes from roof to roof across the entry way and stretches almost to the ground. You could catch a bear in this thing. This spider is rolling back and forth across it with no real idea of how impressive the night's work is to those of us who admired it tonight.
Why is he doing it? Why expend so much energy on something that will be destroyed tomorrow by the wind or a bird or (probably) my wife? This marvel exists only because its creator knows somehow that the larger the web spreads, the better chance of catching what it needs to survive.
So I'm thinking about living like that tonight, that's what I want to do. I want to spread my arms and my life to the point that I can't help but catch all that living has. Catch all of life and love and God that I possibly can. I want to swing from precarious places. I want to participate in creating beauty and never sweat that it might all be gone with a sudden gust of wind. I want to do all that I can to increase my chances of catching what I need to go beyond surviving and into life.
I can't muster up cynical tonight. I'm sure it will find it's way back, but this feels good for now.
Off to watch more of the show.
j

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home