Thursday, March 09, 2006

results of the cry for new music

In the last couple of weeks I have listened and asked around about a ton of music. I've heard some great stuff and some stuff that I'm amazed anyone has ever purchased. Part of the beauty of music is the variety of both producers and consumers. Like David Spade once said - Michael Bolton sold 30 million albums, but I don't know anyone who will admit to owning one.
So what have I come up with? Some CDs that have been or will be purchased soon.
Derek Webb - Mockingbird - Derek is formerly with Caedmon's Call. I've been told for a while that this is a great CD and now I know. Most of the songs provide lyrics that stick in my head and I catch myself thinking about them outside of the context of the music. It is a "christian" CD in the best sense of the term. It's not easy or cheesy I love Jesus music, but rather an intelligent critique of where the Church is in relation to the words of Jesus. It deals with war, the Church, poverty, allegiance, and more. It's at times angry, at times hopeful, at times prophetic.

Garden State Soundtrack - I loved this movie and part of that was the music in it and the way it was used. I've meant to buy this forever, now I have. Coldplay, Simon and Garfunkel, The Shins, and a whole bunch of people I had never heard of, but really like now that I have.

The Shins - Oh, Inverted World - I got hooked by their contribution to the Garden State Soundtrack and love the rest of this CD.
Death Cab for Cutie - Plans - This is a group I have heard of forever, but hadn't heard. Now I've heard. I like.
Pedro the Lion - Achilles Heel - Thanks again Cody for the recommendation.
Yellowcard - Ocean Avenue - What can I say? I'm a fan of oddly placed violins. (See Crowder)
Coldplay - X&Y - Someone gave me a copy of this when it came out and it got buried under other stuff. I found it the other day and love it. I need to pull out the other Coldplay CD I have.

Sorry Jaci - I never got around to that group you mentioned.
This month the music budget rivals the book budget = trouble.
j

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home