Thursday, June 02, 2005

Good read and sad commentary

Tony Jones, Doug Pagitt, Spencer Burke, Brian McLaren, Dan Kimball, Andrew Jones, and Chris Seay have formed a response to those who have been attacking Emergent, the emerging church, and anything else that starts with the letters "emer". You can read it here. (.PDF file)
The response is gracious, honest, and continues to invite conversation, even with those who would disagree with it. There is a strong statement affirming the scriptures and the belief in truth. Much much more. It is everything I would expect from the men who crafted it. Take a minute or two and read it.
So how does the harshest critic respond? By ripping it to shreds as she has done time and again. (by the way, I'm not linking there, but I bet you can find it) As I've said before, I'm out. I refuse to get drawn back in to defending or worrying about who is saying what about whom and who loves Jesus more. The whole thing makes me tired. Several of the above mentioned people and others have offered friendship and dialogue multiple times and have been rejected over and over with statements like "what fellowship can light have with darkness" and "won't climb in bed with heretics". Loving, no?
I understand there is a group of people (large one) that will not understand or accept that churches like ours is anything more than a cult. That's cool with me. I'll just keep in mind to say "No thanks" when offered Koolaid or free black tennis shoes.
In my readings this morning I came across this quote from Abba Anthony of Egypt, one of the Desert Fathers.
The time is coming when people will be insane, and when they see someone who is not insane they will attack that person, saying:'You are insane, because you are not like us.'


I'm just saying.
Check out the response.
j

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home