Thursday, October 23, 2003

and in other news

the following newsstory appeared on channel 9 in OKC a couple of nights ago. the school in question is where my daughter, hannah goes to pre-K. i'm sure this woman is a good person and a fine parent, but i will never figure out how she got from point a to point b and how in the world channel 9 was so bored that they felt like this should lead the 10 o' clock news. wow.

Woman unhappy with school's anti-drug tools
2003-10-22
By Kirsten McIntyre
NEWS 9


THIS IS A SCRIPT FROM NEWS 9'S TELEVISION BROADCAST
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In his hand, a red bandana - the symbol of a particular gang in the metro.

Watch this video

Mother's first thought was that her child had come in contact with gang members.

But, when she found out he got the item at school, she starting seeing red.

The scarf was sent home with her son as part of Red Ribbon Week.

As you can see on the sign behind me, it is Red Ribbon Week here at Kingsgate Elementary School in Moore. Students are learning all week to say "no" to drugs.

But one mother believes the wrong message was sent home when her child received a red bandana.

Jennifer: "I THINK THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE WISDOM I THINK THIS WAS IRRESPONSIBLE."

Jennifer is concerned about this: he red bandana her son was carrying as he got off the bus from school.

He was given the handkerchief as part of Red Ribbon Week.
Jennifer: "I'M SCARED THAT THERE ARE CHILDREN WHO DON'T HAVE PARENTS WHO UNDERSTAND WHAT'S GOING ON WITH GANG COLORS, PARTICUALLY ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF TOWN UNFORTUNATELY, PARTICULARY WITH WHAT THE GANG POPULATION IN OKAHOMA."

Gang members often identify themselves by the colors they wear. "Red" is most often associated with the gang known as The Bloods. Jennifer says instead of just teaching her child about the dangers of drugs, she was forced to give him an education in gangs.

Jennifer: "THEY'RE NOT ALLOWED TO WEAR ANY GANG PARAPHENALIA, YET THEY WERE DISTRIBUTED THAT TODAY. I THINK IT WAS WITH INNOCENT INTENT. I KNOW THAT IT WAS. I THINK IT WAS TO SHOW SUPPORT OF ANTI-DRUG, WHICH I'M TOTALLY ON BOARD WITH. I THINK IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN LOOKED AT MORE DEFENSELY."

Jennifer says she contacted the superintendant's office, but didn't get the response she was looking for.

Jennifer: "I WASN'T PACIFIED WITH THE ANSWER I WAS GIVEN TODAY, AND I DID NOT FEEL HEARD AT ALL. I FELT LIKE THIS WAS THE BEST AVENUE I HOPE THAT PROVES FRUITFUL."


Superintendent Bonds also says the school would never promote gangs or put children in danger. He says the activities were meant to teach anti-drug lessons

you can see the full video from channel 9 here for the next day or so. i need to go lay down, this is all too much for me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home