Wednesday, December 29, 2004

i'm numb

I have spent the past three days watching and listening and reading about the tsunami in Asia. How do I even imagine the loss of what will ultimately be over 100,000 people? Islands where 2/3 of the population are dead or missing. Maybe as many as 1/2 of the victims are children, many of them pulled from the arms of their parents by the surge. I heard a father on NPR yesterday describe trying to hold his son and losing the fight and I found myself crying in the car for the next 20 minutes.
Part of the frustration for me is my inability to do anything about it. Pray you say? Can I be honest enough to say that feels fairly inadequate at this moment? I got an email from World Vision that says I can send a relief pack for 1 family for $50. 1 family? Out of millions? And how does my pack help them deal with losing a father, mother, son, daughter, or all of the above?
One life impacts another life and so I will be sending money somewhere through someone to do what I can to matter in a life I will never meet and maybe my prayer at this point is that millions of other Americans who opened 1000s of dollars worth of Christmas a few days ago will find it in their wallets to do the same. If you are so inclined, here are a couple of options.

www.redcross.org
www.worldvision.com
www.usaid.gov -- you can pick from a dozen or so options here.

Pray if you are able. I'm not sure for what.
Do something.
j

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home