Friday, December 31, 2004

favorites of 2004

Everyone else has a list and I'm sure, faithful reader, that you are dying to see mine. Ok probably not, but here's the stuff I found worth checking out in 2004.

Just a note: 2004 was a long time so many of these will have more than one "favorite". I won't get into all of the issues with that, feel free to do so yourself, but leave me out of it. It's my party and I can be inclusive (or indecisive if you will) if I want to.

Movie
Napoleon Dynamite -- This is hands down one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. Don't ask me what it's about, I can't explain it just trust me. I know very few people who didn't love this movie and the ones who haven't just didn't get it. This is a DVD to go ahead and buy because renting won't be enough.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind -- I love the non-Ace Ventura Jim Carrey. This is a great movie because it looks great, it's smart, and it doesn't end "easy" (one of my biggest movie gripes).




Some strong runners-up
The Village. This is one everyone either loved or hated. I choose to love it.
Saved One of the funniest and saddest movies of the year, for the same reasons. If you are a Christian that gets bothered by people taking shots at what passes for faith these days, don't watch this movie.



TV -- No contest, it's
24 (on Fox). The first season is still the best, but it continues to be one of the most exciting, smartest (most of the time) things on television. You can check out seasons 1 , 2 , and 3 on DVD.


Radio -- This is the year I finally discovered the joys of NPR (I know, I'm way behind). One of the must listens for me as I have stumbled around in the business world is
Brain Brew. You can listen to each week's segments on their web site. It's on KGOU at 11AM on Wednesdays if you're around OKC.

Music -- Two Christmas entries win out in this one. (at least that's when I heard them)
Damien Rice - O -- Josh tells me I'm way behind since I just heard this a couple of weeks ago, but it is the CD I can't stop listening to right now. Every song is amazing and I come up with a new favorite every time I listen through it.
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - U2 This will probably offend someone(s), but this may be the most "Christian" CD I have heard in a while. It gets better each time I listen through it.



Other random good stuff --
Tech addition to my life --
blogexpress -- all the news, sports, randomness, and writing from all over the world you could possibly want. I know people who subscribe to over 5,000 feeds through it.
Place we traveled -- Kansas City v. Santa Fe v. Montego Bay -- toss up here. It was a good year for getting around.
Internet waste of time -- say what you need to, it's Homestar Runner.

Place to just hang out -- Java Dave's (downtown) wins this one. Great food and drinks, comfortable spots to sit (if you know where to find them) and FREE wi-fi (listening starbucks?). If you haven't been (and you're anywhere around) go. Invite me to join you while you're at it.

Enough for now. I am working on the book list, but that's like asking me which meal I enjoyed the most in 2004. (the Jamaican special at the townhouse in montego bay if you really were wondering, or maybe that nuclear chicken thing at the shed in santa fe, or maybe the chicken at stroud's in KC, mmmmmmm)

Well, now I'm hungry.
Happy 2005
j

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jason, it's your cousin Ben.

I saw that your favorite movies are some of my favorite movies, too. "The Village" was awesome, and my friends and I quote "Napoleon Dynamite" all the time. "Saved" was pretty good, and I saw "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" one time, but I liked it. I need to go back again and watch it, just to make sure I picked-up everything in it.

I also noticed you listened to Damien Rice. His CD is one of my favorites, and I can't stop listening to it either. I haven't heard U2's new CD yet, but I've heard it's good (is there a U2 CD that isn't good?)

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home